A Natural Approach to Chemistry
A Natural Approach to Chemistry is an innovative approach to teaching high school chemistry , developed by Ergopedia, a group of MIT-area ex-faculty and staff, and is organized around the following principles:
- All students can learn, understand, and do chemistry
- Core chemistry concepts are illustrated with examples from nature, the environment, and the human body
- All fundamental concepts in chemistry – from bonding to nuclear reactions – involve energy and energy transformations
- Complex chemical concepts are more easily understood with a focus on the atomic/ molecular level
- Laboratory exercises are essential to the study of chemistry
The course includes a student book, lab manual with 60 hands on investigations, teacher editions for both, plus an extensive suite of ancillary tools, including lab and student book PowerPoints, podcasts, skill sheets (for basic and advanced level students), plus teacher lab prep videos and much more.
Teachers will learn how to:
- Use all course tools, including the LAB-MASTER and other specially designed laboratory equipment , including the control point heater, RGB spectrophotometer, and special probe-ware
- Use the 5E model to present effective, on target chemistry lessons
- Differentiate instruction for basic, college prep, and honors classes
- Use formative and summative assessment tools to monitor student learning
- “Flip” or blend classroom environments using podcasts and other online learning tools
- Use the extensive teacher prep tools, including lab prep videos for each lab and unit-by-unit PowerPoints and Item Bank
- Align the course content to NGSS or state instructional goals for the chemistry program
What is needed? One session (PD-NAC-NU1) is usually sufficient to provide an overview of the NAC fundamentals and course design, plus training on the foundation chapters (1-4) for adopting Districts. Districts typically opt for 2-3 days of training for extended coverage, with a summer start and mid-year follow up where possible.
Contact us at email@example.com, for more details.