Education In America
We’ve seen the standards of Education in America greatly improve over the years, and in fact education has clearly emerged as one of the most talked about topics in politics. Our country’s ability to compete on a global level is most often linked to our students’ proficiencies in science and math. In recent years our political leadership has challenged schools to develop tomorrow’s entrepreneurs, engineers and innovators.
We've seen a lot of attention paid to curriculum standards in America over the years, as education has emerged as an important political issue. Our ability to compete on a global level is now clearly linked to students' proficiency in science and mathematics. In recent years, we have challenged schools to better prepare tomorrow's engineers, scientists and innovators.
National Science Education Standards
The National Science Education Standards provide a comprehensive overview of best practices in science education, including instruction, assessment, nature of science, teaching standards and much more. Developed by the National Research Council, the research arm of the National Academy of Sciences, it was released in 1996 and has helped shape the nature and scope of many state science standards.
SEPUP Full Year Courses:
- Issues and Earth Science (IAES)
- Issues and Life Science (IALS)
- Issues and Physical Science (IAPS)
- Issues, Evidence and You (IEY)
- Science and Sustainability (S & S)
- Science and Life Issues (SALI)
Benchmarks for Science Literacy for Middle Level Programs
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) published its Benchmarks for Science Literacy (1993) and two subsequent volumes, Atlas of Science Literacy, Vols 1 and 2, showing the grade level articulation of these science (and support) benchmarks for grade level bands K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and9-12. These documents show the alignment of SEPUP middle level programs to these 'big ideas' and benchmarks.
- BIG IDEAS in Issues and Earth Science (IAES)
- BIG IDEAS in Issues and Life Science (IALS)
- BIG IDEAS in Issues and Physical Science (IAPS)
Additional National Correlations:
- North American Association of Environmental Education (NAAEE) Standards, Grades 9-12
- Terra Nova (3rd edition) List of Assessed Topics (Grades 6-8)
Next Generation Framework and Common Core
These represent support documents for the Common Core for English/Language Arts (adopted 2010) and the Next Generation Science Framework (currently in progress).
Next Generation Science Framework
This document shows how our middle (6-8) and high school (9-12) programs align to the expectations of the Next Generation Science Framework. The Framework is a work in progress and we update our files accordingly. Check back periodically for updates.
- LAB-AIDS Correlations to A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts and Core Ideas
Next Generation Science Standards
These documents show how our core curriculum programs align to the performance expectations of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- LAB-AIDS Correlations for NEXT GENERATION SCIENCE STANDARDS MIDDLE LEVEL GRADES 6-8
- LAB-AIDS Correlations for NGSS High School BIOLOGY
- LAB-AIDS Correlations for NGSS High School EARTH SCIENCE
- LAB-AIDS Correlations for NGSS High School CHEMISTRY
Common Core English/Language Arts for Reading in Science and Technical Subjects, 6-8
These standards, already adopted, provide guidelines to support ELA, grades K-12. This document shows how our middle level science programs support recommended best practices for reading in science in the middle grades.